24.7 C
St John's
Wednesday, February 28, 2024
HomeHeadlines That MatterAustralia- Man Dies After First Shark Attack in Sydney in 60 Years

Australia- Man Dies After First Shark Attack in Sydney in 60 Years

A 35-year-old British man by the name of Simon Nellist, died Wednesday after being attacked by a Great White shark in Sydney, Australia.

According to a friend of the victim, Nellist, who is a professional diving instructor has not been formally identified. Several eye-witnesses who witnessed the scene described it as a vicious and frenzied attack.

“[The person] was swimming and a shark came and attacked [them] vertically,” Kris Linto told Nine News.

“We heard a yell and turned around, it looked like a car had landed in the water, a big splash then the shark,” Said one person.

Another man recounted that he had been fishing on the rocks when he saw the swimmer get dragged under.

“It was terrible. I am shaking. I keep vomiting. It’s very, very upsetting,” he said in a news interview.

The MP for the area Micheal Daley expressed his condolences, adding that locals were horrified by the incident.

“[He] came here and swam nearly every day,” he said.

“It’s a beautiful day at one of Sydney’s most beautiful beaches, but there’s a real dark pall hanging over our community today.”

Authorities managed to retrieve body parts from the water two hours after the attack.

A UK foreign office spokesperson confirmed that consular staff were in touch with New South Wales Police. “We are supporting the family of a British man and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time,” the spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, all beaches were closed on Thursday as authorities attempt to find the shark.

Most Popular

Recent Comments