25.7 C
St John's
Saturday, December 5, 2020
Home Headlines That Matter US Embassy Wants Action On Stranded Venezuelan Oil Tanker

US Embassy Wants Action On Stranded Venezuelan Oil Tanker

- Advertisement -

The United States (US) Embassy in Trinidad and Tobago says it strongly supports immediate action to avoid any environmental harm being caused by the beleaguered oil tanker in the Gulf of Paria.

The embassy made the statement in a press release on October 16, 2020, stating that United States, “remains concerned by the potential risk to safety and environment posed by the Venezuelan-flagged vessel, Nabarima”.

- Advertisement -

International reports have indicated that the vessel carrying an estimated 1.3 million barrels of crude oil has taken on water and has started leaning to one side. Locally, the urgency of the matter was first highlighted by Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS), through releases to the media and in a letter to the Minister of 

Energy and Energy Industries on August 24th.

FFOS now says that the situation is deteriorating and recently told Loop TT that they contacted the US Embassy seeking humanitarian and environmental aid to the Maduro Regime. Now, the US embassy is calling for immediate action to bring the vessel up to international safety standards.

- Advertisement -

The US Embassy media release specifically singles out Petróleos de Venezuela (PVDSA), the state-owned oil company that operates the Nabarima through a joint venture with Eni S.p.A, as having a responsibility to take action to avoid an environmental disaster in Venezuelan waters.

It warns that the situation has the potential to negatively impact the Venezuelan population and people living in neighbouring countries. While the FSO Nabarima may be stranded in Venezuelan waters, its distance from west coast of Trinidad is similar to that of its distance from the coast of Venezuela.

The US embassy also took the opportunity in their media release to clarify that the US sanctions programme against Venezuela is not designed to target activities addressing safety, environmental, or humanitarian concerns. This, according to the US embassy, would mean that any activities undertaken to avert an ecological disaster, would be consistent with US policy to support the Venezuelan people and avoid further harm to the environment.

The Ministry of Foreign and CARICOM Affairs has since responded saying that they have been working together with the Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries and the Ministry of National Security towards finding solutions to the Nabarima issue.

The Ministry’s press release which can be viewed here states that The Venezuelan Government agreed to permit a team of local Experts to cross the border and assess the Nabarima. It says that inspection team would receive permission to visit on October 20, 2020.

The Ministry also highlights a statement by the Venezuelan Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago describing a photograph showing severe tilting of the Nabarima in October, as “total propaganda”.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

LIAT FORCED TO SUSPEND SERVICES TO TWO DESTINATIONS

LIAT, The Caribbean Airline, has been forced to suspend services to two (2) of its previously announced destinations while it awaits the...

Dominican man gets 22 months for 360k worth of weed  

Albert Baker will be serving a 22-month sentence in the Her Majesty’s Prison having admitted to the possession of 89 pounds of...

Committal date set for prisoner charged with wounding another prisoner

Thirty-eight year old Nkemwa Gordon of Gray Hill made his first appearance in St.John's Magistrates' Court today since being charged with wounding...

Recent Comments

error: Content is protected !!