HomeHeadlines That MatterTobago businessman assaulted during home invasion

Tobago businessman assaulted during home invasion

A Tobago businessman was awakened by a gun butt to his head on Wednesday morning as five bandits stormed his home on Bagatelle No 1, Calder Hall, stealing cash, bank cards and electronics before making their escape.

According to police, the 50-year-old victim, Anthony Woods, was asleep in his two-storey house when bandits entered his bedroom.

He told police that a masked assailant pointed a rifle at him while another man had a pistol directed at his son, who was sleeping nearby. Two other bandits were armed with cutlasses.

The men demanded jewellery before striking Woods on his head and body with their weapons.

The bandits searched the room and found two bags containing $3,400 and US$14,000, bank cards, a United States driving permit and a local driving permit.

Guardian Media visited the area yesterday, but Woods had left to seek medical attention.

A relative who recently came to visit from St Vincent said Woods had yet to recover from the brutal assault.

He said the family was disturbed by the incident and the invasion of their privacy and safety.

The relative speculated that the bandits may have scaled the wall to the rear of the property and climbed onto a balcony area before entering the house.

He said Woods eventually raised an alarm and alerted one of his neighbours, who is an ex-police officer.

He praised police for responding swiftly to the incident, adding they are seeking CCTV footage to assist their investigations.

Guardian Media understands one of the bandits dropped a knife as he was fleeing.

“We want the matter settle and we hope they ketch these guys and lock them up because that was very wrong. Yuh can’t come in somebody home and come rob them. This is private property; yuh can’t come in people place and try rob them.”

He said the incident has put a damper on his vacation to Tobago and left the family worried.

One neighbour, speaking on condition of anonymity, said crime is creeping into the once peaceful community.

She believes delinquent youths are to blame, as she called on authorities to intervene urgently.

“Ah frightened. This is scary. Is gun you talking about. These youths doing too much now,” she said.

“There are a lot of delinquent youths. They gambling, stealing sheep, selling weed. Men who want gold and works nowhere, all these kinds of things happening within the community.”

She said residents are being disrespected as people walk onto their property and pick their fruits in broad daylight.

“Something needs to be done in this community. I want betterment for my community. This is crazy.”

Earlier this month, bandits stole $200,000 during a home invasion upstairs a supermarket in Roxborough.

Asked if there was an increase in home invasions on the island, Asst Supt Mahalia Bacchus said no.

Guardian Media tried to contact area representative Nathisha Charles-Pantin for a comment, but she did not respond up to press time.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments