HomeHeadlines That MatterTikTok reaches US$400 million settlement with US Justice Department over children's privacy

TikTok reaches US$400 million settlement with US Justice Department over children’s privacy

TikTok has reached a US$400 million settlement with the US Department of Justice, ending a 2024 lawsuit alleging the company violated federal children’s privacy laws.

The DOJ said Friday that TikTok will pay US$300 million immediately and another US$100 million after an order vacates an earlier consent decree against its predecessor company, Musical.ly.

“This settlement is a major victory for American children and parents,” said US Associate Attorney General Stanley E. Woodward Jr. in a statement.

“The Department’s priority is ensuring that children are protected online and that companies entrusted with their personal information meet their legal obligations. This resolution secures a substantial recovery while reinforcing the protections that families expect and deserve.”

Since the DOJ’s lawsuit in 2024, TikTok has undergone major changes, most notably in the ownership structure of its US arm. In January, the social video platform company signed agreements with major investors, including Oracle, Silver Lake and the Emirati investment firm MGX, to form the new TikTok US joint venture.

Representatives for TikTok did not immediately respond to a message for comment Friday.

The latest lawsuit focused on allegations that TikTok and its China-based parent company ByteDance violated a federal law that requires kid-oriented apps and websites to get parental consent before collecting personal information of children under 13. It also says the companies failed to honor requests from parents who wanted their children’s accounts deleted, and chose not to delete accounts even when the firms knew they belonged to kids under 13.

The settlement comes as social media companies face an avalanche of lawsuits over children’s safety and privacy and a growing number of countries are banning young kids and teens from social media apps.

Instagram’s parent company, Meta Platforms, is currently on trial in federal court in Oakland, California, over allegations it violated the 1998 Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA, along with various state statutes.

Previous article
Trinidad: The Environmental Management Authority (EMA) says it has found no breaches of environmental requirements in works being carried out at the Queen’s Park Savannah ahead of Independence Day celebrations, as criticism grows over the government’s decision to relocate the parade. The EMA said it investigated concerns raised publicly about the works and found that they were temporary in nature and did not breach its regulations. During a site visit, EMA officers observed two temporary ramps built over box drains and a temporary stage surrounded by a perimeter fence. A metal ramp had been placed over a box drain, while a gravel-sand mixture had been temporarily placed on either side. The EMA said no paving or caulking had been carried out and no excavation works were observed. The investigation was conducted in accordance with Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC) Designated Activities 8 and 9. The EMA concluded that the works did not breach its regulations. The findings came as former Prime Minister and Opposition Leader Stuart Young criticised the government over the decision to move the Independence Day Parade to an area opposite President’s House. In a statement on Friday, Young said residents leaving Cascade, St Ann’s and Belmont had faced “chaotic gridlock traffic” and blamed the United National Congress (UNC) administration’s decision to relocate the celebrations. He also criticised the works at the Savannah, questioning whether the government had ensured that the site’s aquifers would not be polluted by paving materials and chemicals seeping into the ground. “Who is winning?” Young asked. Young’s comments came amid separate criticism from environmental group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS), which has condemned construction works at the Savannah. In a statement issued on Wednesday by its corporate secretary Gary Aboud, FFOS warned that what it described as “temporary enhancements” for the Independence Day celebrations could result in permanent degradation of the capital’s 232-acre green space. The group also accused Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s administration of treating the historic Savannah as its private property. The EMA’s assessment, however, found no breach of its environmental regulations based on the works observed during its site visit.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments