With less than two weeks before the US visa proclamation takes effect, Cabinet says government officials are still seeking clarification and a reversal, as Washington has not yet provided new official guidance.
Meanwhile pressure is mounting and anxiety is rising among travellers, students and families with US ties, with many wanting clear answers on how the restrictions will be applied and what to expect when the calendar turns to January.
In Cabinet Notes from the December 17th meeting, ministers said discussions began with consideration of a proclamation issued by the Government of the United States, which will suspend, from January 1, 2026, the issuance of United States visas to nationals of Antigua and Barbuda.
The meeting was chaired by Acting Prime Minister Steadroy Benjamin, as Prime Minister Gaston Browne is overseas on official business. Cabinet said it received status updates from Browne via telephone, as well as briefings from Foreign Affairs Minister E P Chet Greene and Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States, Sir Ronald Sanders.
All three advised Cabinet that active efforts are underway to seek clarification of the proclamation and to secure the restoration of normal visa access for citizens of Antigua and Barbuda. However, the Cabinet Notes make clear that no new information was presented to ministers at Wednesday’s meeting beyond that ongoing engagement.
“In the absence of any new information,” Cabinet said it endorsed the statement previously issued and published by the Prime Minister regarding the US visa restrictions. Cabinet also indicated it will continue to await official communication on the matter and promised to keep the public informed as further information becomes available.
While Cabinet’s latest update offers no operational guidance for the public, it underscores the country’s immediate diplomatic focus; understanding the full scope of the proclamation and persuading US authorities to revisit the decision before it takes effect.
The matter has triggered widespread concern locally and among Antiguans and Barbudans abroad, particularly those with pending travel, student arrangements, family visits and other commitments that typically rely on routine visa processing and predictable entry conditions. Questions have also been circulating about how the proclamation will treat persons who already have valid US visas, and whether any categories could be affected differently once US agencies issue implementing instructions.
This week, the government’s public posture has centred on challenging the basis cited for Antigua and Barbuda’s inclusion, arguing that recent changes to the country’s citizenship framework strengthen safeguards and introduce residency requirements that address the concern raised in the US proclamation.
Cabinet’s endorsement of the Prime Minister’s earlier statement suggests that remains the official line while further talks continue.
Tourism officials have also moved to separate the proclamation from the travel market. In a December 18 statement, the Ministry of Tourism sought to reassure US travellers, airlines and industry partners that reports about US visa issuance for Antiguan and Barbudan nationals do not affect travel to Antigua and Barbuda for American visitors, noting there have been no changes to entry or exit requirements for US citizens travelling to the destination.
For now, Cabinet’s December 17th notes point to a holding pattern. Urgent engagement is underway, no new official communication has been received, and the government is relying on its earlier statement as it presses for clarity and a return to normal visa access ahead of the January 1st start date.



