30.1 C
St John's
Saturday, June 12, 2021
Home Headlines That Matter No funds wasted because of CARIFESTA delay; only more time for planning,...

No funds wasted because of CARIFESTA delay; only more time for planning, Culture Director Cordice assures the public

Director of Culture Khan Cordice has responded to concerns that more monies will have to be spent to stage CARIFESTA XV, which has been postponed from next August until 2022.

He also denies allegations that sums already spent in preparation for the festival of arts would have been wasted. Instead, Cordice explains that the organizing committee is building on what has been put in place by the late Director of Culture, Vaughn Walter.

In fact, Cordice says, the country has been placed at some degree of advantage since the ground work has already been laid.  Further, there is now more time to plan for the event, which he anticipates will be spectacular.

He says the CARIFESTA Office will remain operational up until the time of the execution of the event.

About two weeks ago, Festivals Minister Daryl Matthew announced that, following consultations with the CARICOM Secretariat, the decision was taken for CARIFESTA to be staged during the period August 11 – 21, 2022.

It has had to be postponed due to the state of Caribbean economies and the social uncertainties brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Held every two years, the last festival was staged in 2019 in Trinidad.  This will be Antigua and Barbuda’s first time hosting the event.  

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

An employer cannot alter its terms and conditions to make the covid19 vaccination mandatory for employees says Trinidad and Tobago Industrial Court President.

President of the Industrial Court Deborah Thomas-Felix has said an employer cannot alter its terms and conditions to make the covid19 vaccination...

Welfare visit to RSS Troops in St. Vincent by Chief of Defence Staff and Commissioner of Police.

The RSS Contigent in SVG had the honour to host the Antigua Barbuda Defence Forcce Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Colonel Telbert...

DECISION ON CHOKSI BAIL APPLICATION TO BE HANDED DOWN TODAY

High Court Justice Wynante (Wi-nan-tee) Adrien-Roberts has adjourned Mehul Choksi’s bail hearing to June 11, according to the Dominica News Online (DNO).

CURRENT LIAT WORKERS SAY THEY ARE NO BETTER OFF THAN SEVERED COLLEAGUES

Real News- Current LIAT workers say they are no less disgruntled with the Government than their colleagues who were severed last year.

Recent Comments

error: Content is protected !!